Here are a few ideas for things to bring in your hospital bag on the big birth-day!
- The first things to pack are ones you would normally bring in your overnight bag like a change of clothes for you and your partner, pj’s, and your toiletries. Make sure you have comfy underwear and maternity clothes and even nursing bras or a nursing shirt or robe too.
- Plus you want to bring your camera, phone and phone charger, baby or pregnancy journal or just a notepad and pen, and any easy snacks.
- Money, insurance info, birth plan, and ID of course too! And anything you usually like to do away from home, like listen to music, scrolling through your tablet, reading trashy mags, or easy games to kill time with.
- And if you usually bring your own towels, or pillow and pillowcases on trips, no reason not to here – it will be way more comfortable then the ones the hospital provides.
- Speaking of pillows, many people couldn’t live without bringing their own nursing pillow to the hospital too!
Yes the hospital provides plenty of items for mom and baby, so be sure to find out what is provided so you don’t waste your time (or money) bringing what you can get while you are there. (think diapers, wipes, etc) but check out these items to consider bringing too:
- Flip Flops and Socks – Flip flops are great when mom has swollen feet and the last thing she wants to do is put on tight shoes. They can also be helpful for walking around the hospital or even showering. Socks will help keep warm and safe ones with grips are also great for walking around when you are waiting for the big baby appearance.
- Body/beauty products– Chapstick, lip balm, lotion...whatever makes you look and feel your best – yes labor will be intense but when the cameras start flashing when baby is here, you will be thankful you took a moment to freshen up your look for the pictures!
- Drinks and lozenges – because who really wants a dry mouth! Gum, mints, or whatever you normally use daily. You and your partner will appreciate this after hours of waiting around!
- Gifts or cards – yes it is you who will be receiving lots of love and even gifts brought in for you and the baby, but many people also like to give doctors or nurses they get close too throughout the process a little something. Even something small like pregnancy and child safe nail polish!
- Baby’s first items – an outfit, socks, mittens, a hat, a swaddle blanket, and anything else you want to cuddle up your new baby with.
Don’t forget to have the car seat ready to go and installed in the car for the ride home!
What did we forget? Anything you brought when you gave birth or anything you will be packing?
Also check out:
Four Postpartum Favorites For New Moms (All $30 and Under!)