Fully Covered – Five Sun-Smart Ways To Protect Little Ones From UV Ray
By Lauren Lang, Founder of Imagine Baby
By now, most adults have incorporated the practice of safe sun protection into their daily routines. But when it comes to babies, many parents don’t realize the places where unwanted or unexpected sun exposure may occur, such as when babies are sitting in the infant car seat.
Babies have delicate skin and require extra defenses from the sun, but the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that babies under 6 months old be kept out of direct sunlight and that sunscreen should only be used if no other protection is available. So parents need to take extra measures to ensure their baby’s skin is not directly exposed to the sun’s damaging UVA and UVB rays. In addition to melanoma, a form of skin cancer, sun exposure can also result in sunburn, heat rash, and overheating.
A few “sun smart” tips for babies include:
- While many strollers and car seats come with canopies, those canopies do not sufficiently keep babies entirely shaded – often leaving their feet and legs in direct sunlight. A protective infant car seat canopy such as The Shade will ensure that baby is surrounded by shade on all sides.
- Until babies are past the six month mark, sunscreen is not recommended as its formulation – even organic – may have an adverse reaction to the delicate skin of babies. A hat with a flap is a great way to protect little faces, necks, and ears from the sun. Loose, lightweight cotton clothing is also a good way to keep babies covered without overheating.
- The sun is strongest between 11am and 3pm – a great time to schedule naps indoors or in a shaded area. Don’t be fooled by clouds – clouds are not shade and do not provide sun protection.
- Babies are not too little to wear sunglasses – you can find ones with a head strap so they stay in place.
- It may seem too hot for socks – but socks will keep little feet protected. Always keep an extra pair in your diaper bag or under the stroller incase one gets kicked off.
Lauren Lang is the founder of Imagine Baby, a company creating products that make parents’ lives easier. Imagine Baby’s inaugural product, The Shade, is a first-of-its kind infant car seat canopy that provides UPF 50+ protection against the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays, other outside elements and germs. Lauren is also a mom who created this product based on unmet needs with her own children when they were in their infant car seat. The Shade can be purchased at various online retailers and specialty baby stores nationwide at www.imaginebaby.com.
Now who wants The Shade for themself? Imagine Baby is generously providing one Shade to a winner of the following Rafflecopter giveaway! You choose the color. Entrants must be in the USA. Thanks and good luck!