Lingerie can be a tricky thing to buy but once you’ve overcome some of your fashion fears and maybe some of your previous fashion fiascos, shopping for sultry underthings will become second nature. In many sexy places in the world, what you wear under your clothes is as important as what is outside for all to see. You don’t have to be Victoria Beckham to wow your man with your fancy pants. Here are 10 tips to help you avoid fashion pitfalls in the lingerie department. This applies to the men buying for their loved one too.
- The Whale Tale is not a fashion statement. Please refrain from subjecting others to the top of your thong, instead wear a low rise one. Subtlety is sexy and a much more dignified look.
- Avoid the boring old Jockey/ Costco style panty, which can hardly be considered lingerie. There are plenty of comfy styles out there (hipsters for example) that don’t scream “I give up!”
- Double check for VPL (visible panty line). You may think this is an obvious don’t but look around, many women are not getting this. Try a hipster or low rise thong to avoid this problem.
- In light colored clothing, make sure your panties don’t show through. Wear dark panties with dark clothes. Maybe we should all have summer and winter wardrobes for our lingerie too?
- Women should always wear panties and bras. Fancier lingerie seems optional but the basics are not. I’m always surprised when West Coast girls say they go commando (what you do in your Lululemon yoga pants is your business but regular clothes = wearing panties). This seems both wrong and a big shame. Panties and bras are meant to not just add playfulness to your wardrobe but they have important functions. A nice pair of panties can firm up the bottom and create sexy curves. A beautiful bra can shape and lift the bust, plus add contours to an outfit. We don’t want to be dressed like hillbillies from the inside out. I’m pretty sure even hillbillies wear bras and panties. Yeeehaaa!
- Corsets and Teddy’s are not just for your wedding night. Wear them under sheer blouses when you go out for drinks.
- Wear bright gem colours any season! There is nothing better then wearing a bright pink panty; many men love the bold colours (not that we’re wearing lingerie to please men; oh no!). But if you’re wearing a light dress, wear light panties. Jewel colors are great under jeans, jean skirts, dark dresses and so forth.
- Wear a high hipster! These retro panties have made an incredible come back. Not only is the style comfortable, it firms up the belly area and smooths out the derriere.
- You must do a panty purge from time to time, to replace anything old, uncomfortable and unflattering. This can be a simple and inexpensive way to spruce up your wardrobe. You don’t want to be uncomfortable in your knickers.
- Surprise yourself by trying styles you may not have thought of. Lingerie is for women of all ages and sizes. For example, many thongs are made to be very comfortable these days. Some customers who wear Blush or Hanky Panky brand thongs become complete converts. The benefits of trying new lingerie styles are for your fashion pleasure but also to have options to avoid the VPL pitfall.
By Natalie Grunberg, CEO of Pantybypost.com
Panty by Post is a monthly subscription service delivering a curated selection of premium luxe underpinnings right to your door. Our PBP team of fashion experts select the best styles and brands to send each month. Our exquisite collection is always changing, so you’ll never get the same panty twice. It’s a little taste of monthly glamour for about as much as your Netflix! Each subscription is tailored to style (thong, bikini, hipster or mix), size (XS to 4X) and duration (single to year-long), and beautifully (and discretely) packaged to perfection. And we love the collections for bridal and mens gifts – come on, we know your BF’s underwear drawer could use a little making over!
With a life that revolves around her passion for her company, Natalie brings her tremendous energy to her position as President of Panty by Post. Her passion for business has made her a fast expert in her field. She draws on her past careers for her big ideas and project management skills. She is known for her vigorous work ethic and works tirelessly to manage, run and develop her growing business. Beyond working, walking her dog Henri and practising her boxing moves, she enjoys indulging in French food and wine at her brother’s world class restaurant (shout out to L’Abattoir!).