Whether you’re a first time mama, or a seasoned pro there’s definitely some things you’re going to want to consider when it comes to expecting twins and baby gear. Because you’re out numbered it all comes down to strategy – feeding, soothing, and being on the go with your duo.
HERE’S OUR TOP 10 MUST HAVES FOR MAMAS EXPECTING TWINS…
1. A Double Stroller- This may go without being said, but the value of a great double stroller is priceless. Because there’s only one of you and two of them, anyway you can make going out and about easier, the better. We suggest a front to back, convertible travel system like Baby Jogger’s City Select. Not only does this stroller convert from 1 – 2 seats, it’s affordably priced, adaptable with infant car seats, and easy to get in and out of the car.
2. Double Swings/Soothers- Because of the expense this is a common area where mamas may try to skimp (this one included) but you will quickly find out that the area where you need the most help is rockling, walking, and soothing babies. Having two swings, or soothers on hand will be worth their weight in gold. We recommend the RockaRoo by 4moms. Not only is this hybrid soother fit the need for a bouncer and swing all in one, it takes up very little space, in fact 1/3 of the space of a standard swing making it perfect for double duty.
3. Boppy Pillows- Boppy pillows are a staple in any new parent’s home, but especially in a new parent of twins home! Not only are Boppy pillows great for non tandem breastfeeding, but also for positioning them for bottle feedings, tummy time, and a safe and comfortable spot to set them down any old time!
4. Two Phase Technology Breast Pump- If you’re afforded the luxury of exclusively breastfeeding that it absolutely fabulous, and doable for mamas of twins! The truth is many mamas either are going back to work, or are only able to breastfeed part time which means they will need help from a breast pump to keep their supply up. As certified lactation consultants we always recommend going with a pump that has two phase technology like the Medela Freestyle. What does this mean? Well, it means that the pump mimics a newborns natural feeding rhythms which in return optimizes what you produce during a pumping. We also like the hands free option that comes with the Freestyle.
5. Halo SleepSacks- There are maybe a million different kind of sleepsack options and designs out there (ok maybe not a million, but a ton.) We love the halo sleepsack for a couple of different reasons, the main being that you can use the sleepsack swaddled or unsaddled which is unique to Halo. In our experience the muslin and micro fleece sleepsacks do the best job at maintaining a swaddle, and keeping your little Houdini’s wrapped up.
6. WINE… lot’s of wine- Or chocolate, or whatever you’re vice may be. Why? Because you deserve it! Being a mama of twins is a lot of work, and after a long day you need to reward yourself. You did it, everyone is healthy, happy and you made it through another day! GO YOU! Those first 6-12 months are definitely filled with ups and downs, but with every step towards more independence things get a little easier and before you know it having two little beings that are able to interact and play with one another will prove to be the most amazing, and biggest blessing of all!
7. Structured Baby Carriers- If you’re an active family who likes to attend events, get out and about, or lives in the city having a structured baby carrier that can work for newborns well into the toddler years will be essential! Although having your double stroller is a life saver, at times it just makes more sense to carry your babes, and one at a time on both you and your partner. We love the Lille Baby Complete carrier that accommodates an infant from 7lbs-45 without an newborn insert. In addition to it’s ease, baby wearing is a fabulous way to bond with your babies and has shown many benefits to their vitals and overall health.
8. Twin Nursing Pillow – The easiest way to streamline breastfeeding twins to to tandem feed, or breast feed them simultaneously. Whether breastfeeding one baby at a time or tandem the My Breastfriend Twin Nursing Pillow is a must have. It provides enough support for 2 babies and for mama.
9. Rock and Plays – Rock and Plays are a fabulous Bassinet/crib/pack and play hybrid. They are portable and stow easily like a pack and play, take up little space and are a great option to have baby close to you at night, and are a great option as a place for baby to sleep until they are ready to graduate to a crib. In addition, for twins, who are often time born premature the slight incline is helpful to reflux which is common. The cosy small quarters are also soothing for low birth weight twins, which is also common. We love the Fischer Price My Little Lamb Deluxe edition as it has a canopy, something you may find helpful when letting your babes snooze outside of their nursery during the day.
10. Babytalk Expecting Multiples – Babytalk Expecting Multiples is the essential prenatal class developed specifically to prepare and support families from pregnancy through bringing your babies home. Delivered online, parents gain unlimited access for 6 months giving you the opportunity to revisit and refresh after your babies are here. We know how overwhelming it can feel to be expecting one baby, let alone two! Don’t you worry about a thing, mama.
So there you have it. Our 10 MUST HAVES for mamas expecting twins. At Babytalk we specialized in working with families expecting multiples. If you wish to talk with us about further support whether it be birth planning, creating a custom registry, or 4th trimester support we are happy to help and offer all of these virtual services at affordable prices.
Also check out: